Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Happy as a Giant Clam

I am officially a United States Peace Corps Volunteer now. Up until a few days ago I could only claim I was a trainee, but now I am sworn-in, a full-fledged volunteer and have experienced my first two days of work thus far. Every Monday there is a flag ceremony here which is pretty typical everywhere you go in the Philippines. We sang the national anthem and then I was called up to the front to give an impromptu speech in Tagalog about what I am doing here. Everyone was very welcoming and the crowd was filled with nothing but good energy and smiles. After the flag ceremony I bought a mountain bike, a helmet, and a lock so that I could ride to the office of “SIKAT” a Non-Government Organization that I will be working with closely during my time here. We did a Giant Clam assessment in Agnipa around the Marine Protected Area (MPA) using the manta tow method I described a few blogs ago where you are basically pulled behind a bangka as you snorkel and then count any giant clams you see. We located the clams and recorded their location using a GPS so that the following day we could find them again, weigh them, and transfer them inside the MPA. It is prohibited in the Philippines to take Giant Clams regardless of whether they are inside an MPA or not. However, by putting them inside the MPA, they can be better monitored because there is a Bantay Dagat (coast guard) protecting the area. We are also moving the clams to slightly deeper water, about 15- 20 feet, so they will be less accessible to illegal fishers and less susceptible to overheating in shallow waters during low tide. We will then return to these MPA’s and tag each clam so that we can keep track of them and monitor their growth. It’s been an amazing couple of first work days and it doesn’t stop there. After work, I ride my bicycle 9 km to my house winding in around mangrove forests, coconut tree groves, up and around cliffsides with unbelievable views of the neighboring islands, breathing the fresh clean air because there is never traffic, and making it just in time to catch the sunset over the horizon. When I get home, my family greets me with smiles and banter, and merienda of course. Life couldn’t be better…. The last three months of training has certainly paid off, I am finally here at my permanent site in the Philippines, Romblon, starting my new life as a volunteer.

1 comment:

  1. Your life sounds mabuti na mabuti. Is that correct tagalong? I meant to say “really good.” We have had pretty intense rains here in Costa Rica also. Apparently this has been the rainiest November in decades and dozens of people were killed in floods here in CR. It seems we are finally living similar seasonal patterns again! We will be getting a short avocado season here too pretty soon, but our big season is in May. Speaking of which, I just sprouted hundreds of avocado rootstocks to graft next spring.

    Your land and sea route sounds like my three month backpacking trip through 13 of the Philippine islands a few years back. I remember enjoying Boracay the least out of all the places I went to. Did you visit Lola when you were in Cubao, or any family in Tondo or Olongapo? Many of our family members there have been writing me in hopes that I can convince you to visit them.

    I didn’t realize Peacecorps is so kind towards your preferences and you are really making me want to join up.

    I just used some old plastic bags as grafting tape to T-bud and V-bud some dwarf mandarin trees and I can keep you updated on how effective it is. I’ll bet your host family would love one much more than a pile of dirty plastic bags lying around.

    What is the name of that indigenous village you went to? I would like to do a permaculture-based Peacecorps internship there.

    As your caring big bro, I just wanted to warn you that I don’t think 10 third-world pills per day washed down with a 50 cent pint of vodka with some mysterious dog meat on the side is the healthiest thing you could be doing for your body. I do find it interesting how you used coconut shells for charcoal. I wonder why they don’t have ovens there. You should suggest the cob method you helped me with a few years ago.

    What kind of novels have you been reading? While you are there I would strongly suggest Noli me Tangere and El Filibusterismo by the Filipino National here, Jose Rizal. Also, if you are interested in some good Filipino music, you should get into Asin if you haven’t already.

    It is interesting that it is illegal to ship coffee there, when coffee here is so abundant it grows like a weed everywhere. Cacao and figs should grow pretty well in your climate as well! If only I could be there growing all that stuff….although I probably wouldn’t be very good at producing a cheeseburger for you.

    Anyway, keep posting Rhonda! Ingat ka at mahal kita.

    Scott

    Ps…don’t forget about the full lunar eclipse this coming solstice….it will be most visible from earth almost exactly between us geographically

    ReplyDelete